9.5/10 (Expert Score)Product is rated as #1 in category Competitor Spy Tools
- 10 years of historical data
- White Labelling for client reports
- Affordable Price with unlimited reports
- Excellent support with responsive chat
- Find shared keywords using Kombat
- Saves time by identifying new keywords
- Identify potential CPC for target keywords
- Helps in developing content strategy ideas
- Not accurate
- Works slowly at times
- No white labeling in the basic plan
- An issue in exporting graphs and charts
- User-interface is not as good as its competitors
- Campaigns not shown which are missing from the database
Increasing website traffic for whatever end can be a total nightmare. The fact of the matter is that if you expect a website to be profitable, or even just to get a lot of traffic coming in, there are steps that need to be taken. A website is not going to get a large number of visitors simply for existing. When it comes to PPC and SEO campaigns, these are of course good ideas, but the competition knows this as well. If you want to outrank, outperform, and outsell the competition, you need to know what they are doing and how they are doing it, and this is where SpyFu comes into play. It’s all about knowing exactly what keyword and PPC strategies and methods the competition is using, so you can do the same, but better.
What SpyFu Does
SpyFu, simply put, spies on your competition and it helps to expose the secret formulas, methods, and strategies which your competition is putting to use to drive website traffic, returns, and in many cases, to drive sales. The whole point of SpyFu is to help websites increase organic traffic, mainly through the use and analysis of keywords and SEO, but through other methods as well. Whether you want better SEO campaigns than the competition, PPC campaigns, or both, SpyFu is something that can help anybody achieve this. It’s all about allowing you to see what makes other sites successful or failures, and then learning from that information.
How SpyFu Works
SpyFu works by allowing you to search the domain of any website, so in this case your competitors. SpyFu will then display every keyword they’ve bought on Adwords, every organic rank, and every ad variation in the last 13 years. SpyFu will then provide you with recommendations and steps moving forward so you can outrank, outmatch, and outsell the competition at every turn. It’s more or less a way for you to take, innovate, and improve other people’s traffic-driving strategies to make them work better for your own site.
Features of SpyFu
SpyFu comes with quite a few features, and it’s mostly all about PPC and SEO campaigns, and how to make them better in relation to the competition.
PPC Competitor Research
One of the things which SpyFu excels at is doing PPC competitor research, so you can get more out of every click. This is all about running the right kind of pay-per-click campaign to improve click numbers, turnover, and hopefully sales. Here are some of the features included with the PPC competitor research function.
- The Adwords keyword spy tool to search for competitors, download their PPC keywords, and see how many clicks per keyword they get, and how much they get paid for it
- The ability to find out and research keywords which competitors are using, ones that you don’t already use
- The ability to visual your competitors’ AdWords keywords in groups to see which groups are the most effective
- PPC negative keyword recommendations to see which words you are wasting money on
- Monitor PPC competitors to see who is bidding on your PPC keywords
- Recommendations for which keywords you should be using when compared to competitors
- Testing and gauging the strength and success of keyword and SEO campaigns from competitors
- PPC ad rank tracker to track your own ranking progress
SEO Competitor Research SpyFu will also spy on competitors’ SEO campaigns to give you an upper hand.
- Research competitors’ SEO keywords
- 3 way competitor keyword research tool
- Complete keyword ranking histories
- Check competitor’s backlinks by keywords
- Spy on your SEO competition
- Keyword group analysis tool
- Custom branded SEO client reports
- Influencer marketing and social outreach for backlinks
- Tracking your SEO keyword rankings.
Keyword Research Tools Driving traffic often has to do with keywords.
- Google keyword tool alternative to generate targeted keyword ideas.
- PPC test ad winners and losers to learn the tricks of the most successful advertisers for any keyword.
- Keyword grouper tool to paste lists of keywords and organize them into groups.
- Quality backlinks for specific keywords to increase rankings.
- Provided AdWords keyword advice for your SEO campaign.
- PPC & SEO SERP analysis to find specific ranking factors for each keyword.
- SEO keyword ranking history to track the ranking history of any page.
Who SpyFu is Best Suited For SpyFu is a great tool, one that is ideal for everybody to use. If you are engaged in a PPC campaign, SEO campaign, or both, then SpyFu is a fantastic resource to have at your disposal. Once again, in order for your own SEO and PPC campaigns to rank as high as possible, and to be as effective as can be, you do need to know exactly what the competition is doing and how their strategies are performing. We would recommend anyone running a keyword, SEO, and/or PPC campaign to use SpyFu. Pricing SpyFu does come with a number of plans, which includes basic, professional, and a team plan.
- Basic plan – $39 monthly or annual plan for $33 monthly.
- Pro plan – $78 monthly or annual plan for $58 monthly.
- Team plan – $299 monthly or annual plan for $199 monthly.
Does SpyFu come with a money-back guarantee?
Yes, if you are not happy with the service, there is a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Can I research specific sites with SpyFu?
Yes, you can research and analyze specific domains with SpyFu.
Does SpyFu come with assistant or support?
Yes, there is a customer support team, as well as a library of over 200 tutorial videos.
The bottom line is that when it comes to finding out what the competition is doing, what traffic building strategies they are taking advantage of, how they run their PPC campaigns, and how they use SEO, SpyFu is one of the best tools out there to keep track of this. Remember, building a good website, even one with great SEO is not always enough to attract the attention of the public. You need to do better than the competition, which means having to know what the competition is up to, and this is exactly what SpyFu can do for you.
Have you ever thought of how your competitors perform better than you in organic and paid campaigns?
Suppose you got a tool where you can see all the analytical data of your competitor sites alongside the keywords they use. Would you like to adopt that tool?
If yes, then SpyFu is the best option you’ll get. With the help of SpyFu, you can spy on your competitor’s site and examine how much they are spending on organic and paid keyword searches.
SpyFu helps you increase your website traffic, track your keyword rankings, and make better connections or partnerships to generate sales leads.
In short, SpyFu uncovers the search marketing tactics of your competitors. This is the perfect time for you to examine all your competitor’s online strategies before they do.
In this article, we will have an in-depth look at all the tools provided by SpyFu. We will also consider its features and pricing plans.
Let’s get started.
SpyFu provides you with all the information on how your competitors are getting traffic with the help of search ads (organic and paid).
With the help of PPC Research, you will get the following insights:
- Paid keywords
- Monthly PPC clicks
- Monthly PPC Budget
- Worst performing keywords
Through Ad Competitors, you can learn how your competitors are spending their dollars on the search ads.
Some of the metrics you’ll be able to examine are:
- Overlap (The proportion of PPC keywords that particular domain has in common with your searched domain)
- Common Keywords (No. of unique keywords that specific domain and your searched domain advertise on)
- Monthly Paid Keywords
- Monthly Paid Clicks
- Monthly Ad Budget
Kombat (shared paid keywords) helps you to deliver the right keywords to the right audience. You will have to enter the two other competing domains for which you want to generate reports.
The generated report will include:
- Weakness (Your competitors’ ads appear, but you don’t)
- Keyword Universe (Keywords bought by any competitor)
- Exclusive Buys (Keywords you buy, but not your competitors)
- Core Niche (Keywords all you and your competitors buy)
If you rank for specific keywords, but your competitors don’t, that does not necessarily mean you win. It could be possible that you are bidding on an unprofitable term.
3. Keyword Groups
Keyword Grouping helps you find phrases and modified broad matches of the exact long-tail keywords you bid on.
With keyword grouping, you’ll be able to:
- Quickly create ad groups with PPC group suggestions
- Filter by specific words to create ad groups
- Sort by cost per click
- Share your ad groups with your teams and clients
4. PPC Keywords
SpyFu generates PPC Keywords reports where you can discover competitors’ monthly ad budgets and how long your competitor has been advertising with the target keyword. You can also find the keyword that your competitor has ever bought.
Additionally, you can view the complete history of an ad copy of your competitor over some time.
5. Ad History
When you enter a domain in Ad History, at that time, you can view all the ads they’ve run over the past nine years. You can analyze their most successful ad copy, and include the variants in your ad if you have missed any.
To make your ad campaign successful, you will have to:
- Use the filter to find top ads for your target keyword
- Find the most successful copy
- Learn how much they spend for that keyword
6. AdWords Template
You can optimize AdWords with SpyFu Templates. The expert team of SpyFu handcraft AdWords campaigns, you can have your AdWords account set up and running within minutes.
Now, you have to watch for what’s included and what’s not. The things that are included are:
- Import AdWords campaigns
- Structured ad groups
- Exact match keywords
- At least one ad per ad group
Below are the things which are not included:
- Your branded keywords
- Your product keywords
- Your AdWords account
With SpyFu SEO Research, you can easily find SEO insights into your competitor’s domains. You can also plan a content strategy as SEO research measures rank gains and losses.
You can craft your plan by studying your competitor’s strategies:
- Monitor, the type of pages, links to the domain
- Avoid their mistakes
- Discover similar sites
- Use other tools to carry out further research
1. SEO Overview
The organic keywords with estimated monthly SEO clicks can be seen with the help of SEO Research. You can find the number of keywords that have improved and lost their rankings over some time.
SpyFu assigns an “SEO value” depending on which position a domain ranks for an organic keyword. The best part is that you can examine how many keywords of the domain are currently ranking on the first page of Google results.
The Competitors tab shows which domains are ranking for your target keywords and how their rankings change over time.
Track your competitors by:
- Monitoring which sites are your closest competitors
- Look for domains using your target keywords
- Number of clicks your competitors get
- Find the keywords and content strategy applying by your competitors
3. SEO Keywords
Search for a domain, and you can find the most valuable keywords included in the site’s content. Furthermore, you can use these keywords to create an SEO strategy.
You can filter the list of keywords choosing from most valuable keywords, newly ranked keywords, keyword rank gains, and losses.
4. Top Pages
You can derive a list of pages that brings your competitors most clicks, and then sort them according to your related topics to create an action plan.
You can enter your domain for further opportunities as well.
- Find and promote your most valuable content
- Optimize pages having high-traffic
- Determine emerging keywords and internal links
5. SEO Reports
You can create monthly SEO Reports by following the below steps:
- Enter your domain
- Choose the type of report you want (based on all or your own SEO keywords)
- Choose your competitors from the generated list or enter the domains manually
- Now, review and publish the SEO report
Firstly, I have recommended you to get started with SpyFu, and you just have to enter your competitor’s domain. You are not limited to domain names only; you can also enter a keyword if you want to learn about your niche more than your competitors.
Below are some of the insights that SpyFu will provide after entering a specific keyword:
- Top domains rank for that particular keyword
- Monthly volume and estimated clicks
- SERP (Search Engine Results Page) Analysis
- Currents ads running for the keyword
Now, we will take an example by entering “digital marketing” as a keyword and find out all the analysis reports given by SpyFu.
1. Keyword Overview
In the “Keyword Overview” tab, you will be able to see monthly volume with the estimated clicks. You will also get to know about the similar keywords, questions related to that particular keyword.
In our case, the keyword is “digital marketing”, but you can see the third block where the list includes keywords that the top domains rank for your target keyword.
2. Related Keywords
With Related Keywords, you can find the top ranking keywords related to your target keyword. Besides from finding the volume of your keyword, you can also find the keyword difficulty (KD) and cost-per-click (CPC) for the particular keyword.
On the left side, you can set the filters based on search volume, keyword difficulty, cost per click, ranking homepages, and many others.
3. Advertiser History
Every company has its own strategies and budget for particular ads. In Advertiser History, you can see a list of domain names that have performed better with your target keyword with their monthly budget spent on Google Ads.
In the below image, you can see 43% top of the page for ecornell.com, which means if the ad ran 100 times, then it had appeared 43 times at the top of the SERP.
4. Ranking History
It’s crucial to watch which competitors have improved their rankings continually. In that way, you will get to know which domain is taking SEO seriously.
Ranking History will allow you to see the websites’ organic ranking with their last and best rank based on your target keyword. SpyFu’s line graph will show you at what time the ranking exactly changed.
Backlinks play a vital role in search engine optimization (SEO). Here, you will get the list of best backlink domains that help you rank your target keyword. SpyFu shows various metrics, such as:
- Domain monthly organic clicks
- Page monthly organic clicks
- Domain Strength
- Outbound Links
- Ranked Keywords
6. Keyword Grouping
In Keyword Grouping, add keywords (one per line or comma-separated) and get search volume, SEO difficulty, cost per click, and clicks per day.
The keywords you entered will automatically get organized based on a higher monthly search volume. You can even export all the data to Excel, CSV, or PDF.
7. SERP Analysis
The most important part you should know is “how difficult it is to rank the particular keyword,” and SERP Analysis provides you with an in-depth analysis of your target keyword.
Additionally, you can also see the changes in ranking at the leftmost part of the table.
8. Adwords Advisor
Adwords Advisor provides the most successful keywords from all the ads of the particular keywords (digital marketing in our case) by the competitors. You can also see the competitors who bought the specific keywords for their campaign.
Based on their results, they will show you the estimated cost per click and clicks per month you will get if you opt for that specific keyword. However, the actual cost of your campaign may differ from the estimated budget. But it will help you to plan your bid.
List Builder shows the lists of various domains all over the world based on domain top, keyword top, and leads. Now, we will further break down the lists.
Domain Top Lists
- Domains that Spend the Most on Adwords
- Domains with the Most Organic (SEO) Traffic
- Highest Organic Traffic Companies with Twitter Accounts
- Companies with Phone Numbers
- Companies with Email
- Companies with Social Media
- Companies without Social Media
- Companies without a Blog
Keyword Top Lists
- Keywords with Highest Cost Per Click (CPC)
- Keywords with the Most Clicks
- Most Expensive Keywords
- Business Phone Systems CPC ranks
- Most Expensive Lawyer Keywords
- Most Expensive College Keywords
SpyFu has a total of three subscription plans. All the plans include unlimited domain search, keyword search, backlink search, keyword group, and data exports.
The basic plan begins with $33 per month if billed annually (or $39 per month billed monthly). You’ll get 250 sales leads & domain contacts, 5000 weekly tracked keyword rankings, and 10 domain SEO and PPC reports.
With the professional plan, sales leads & domain contacts jump to 500, whereas the weekly tracked keyword rankings to 15000. You’ll also get the API access along with custom-branded reports. This plan costs you $58 per month when billed annually.
The crucial part you have to watch out for in a professional plan is that if you billed monthly, then for the first month, it will cost you $39 per month, and after that, the price goes up to $78 per month.
Lastly, the most expensive subscription plan is a team plan at $199 per month when billed annually (or $299 per month billed monthly). The team plan is worth buying when you want to give access to other users as well.
If SpyFu doesn’t meet your expectations, you don’t have to worry as SpyFu offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can cancel your subscription plan anytime via email, live chat, or phone.
All of us want to rank higher in search results, and to do so, you must need powerful tools. SpyFu is a paid tool packed with various features, yet it’s not that efficient as it looks.
We tested various tools to find some of the best SpyFu’s alternatives.
SEMrush is a comprehensive tool with which you can find the keywords that your competitors are using for driving more visitors to the site. Apart from keyword research, SEMrush also includes technical SEO audit, position tracking, backlinks audit, traffic insights, and many more.
To start with SEMrush, firstly, you have to log in and then enter your competitor’s domain in the dashboard search bar. You will get quick statistics like organic and paid search, organic and paid keywords, backlinks, trends, etc.
Like SpyFu, SEMrush also generates PPC campaign data with the competitor’s ad history, their best copy, and keywords. As SEMrush supports 100 locations and 20 languages, it is considered a more valuable tool than SpyFu.
In terms of pricing, SEMrush is an expensive alternative, but it provides more features and better results than SpyFu. Furthermore, SEMrush gives a 7-day free trial in which you can use its premium features, and as a beginner, you can go for a free account. SpyFu also offers a free account with limited results.
Ahrefs is best-known for its in-depth analysis of SEO.
It has a toolkit that includes site explorer, keyword explorer, site audit, rank tracker, content explorer, and SEO toolbar.
With the help of a backlink checker, you can explore new and lost links, referring domains, broken backlinks, anchor texts, outgoing links, and much more. Ahrefs provide precise data as they monitor more than 16 trillion known links, much more than SpyFu.
The site audit tool of Ahrefs will crawl your site and report you about the problems in your site concerning internal linking, HTML tags, CSS, and more. The crucial part is that the tool not only showcases your questions but also recommends you how to fix them.
Unlike SpyFu that has only a US and UK based database, Ahrefs supports 100+ countries’ databases. Therefore, you get thousands of new ideas because of the large number of keyword databases available.
SpyFu has the edge over Ahrefs when it comes to subscription plans. As Ahrefs does not provide a free account, they have a 7-day trial at the price of $7.
Conclusion — SpyFu Review
SpyFu provides lots of valuable data at a much lower cost than its alternatives, such as SEMrush and Ahrefs.
If you want to reverse engineer the SEO and PPC marketing strategies of your competitors, then SpyFu would be a perfect pick.
SpyFu is a significant investment if you manage a large number of PPC campaigns. But, if you are an agency, then you should go for SEMrush.
0.0 out of 5
Write a review